Sunday, November 9, 2014

Small miracles lead to bigger miracles

We had an interesting experience last night. Some background information first. We have some very talented young missionaries serving in the visitors centre here. One of the sisters has written a couple of beautiful pieces of music. She is just in the last weeks of her mission and asked the president if she could put together a musical program highlighting the various areas in the visitors centre. She wanted to take it around to some of the areas in the mission to get people interested in coming to the visitors centre. President Millar gave permission and she began putting it together. She asked those of us in the office to participate. Our office elders, elder Cannon and I, plus sister Cates all agreed. I was asked to accompany most of the music on the piano, while a few songs were done with guitar. They prepared a lot of slides to show as well as a narration. We pulled it all together in a couple of weeks' time and have performed it at the visitors centre. Last night we traveled to Wandsworth stake which is in greater London. We had the big 12 seater temple van and the 9 seater office van with our 15 people and all the equipment. We left in plenty of time to travel a couple of hours and still get set up and warm up. Elder Cannon drove the big van and the office elders drove the other through pouring rain in the dark. When we were 15 minutes away from the chapel, the young missionaries in the office van called to say they had broken down in the middle of the intersection in one of the busiest cities. They had somehow managed to push the van off the street into a side street that just happened to have a place to park! We had to turn around to get them. Turning around and going back in a London area is nearly impossible, but thanks to the SatNav (satellite navigator) we finally found them. By the time we arrived they had figured out who could stay with the van and how to rearrange the program so everything was covered. We left three of the Sr missionaries to meet the tow truck and figure out a way to get back home. The rest of us piled in to the big van with all the equipment and drove to the church! We arrived only a couple minutes late and quickly got set up. We had an audience of around 60 people with several investigators. The spirit was strong and the program was well received. We were so impressed with these young missionaries! Their attitude was one of adventure, excitement and determination whereas we Sr missionaries were ready to cancel the show and get everyone home. We felt the guiding hand of The Lord to present this message to bring souls to Christ. Now if we can make it to Brighton tonight for our next performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment